Workshop on Development of Institutional Repository using Dspace with special reference to creation of ETD Archive
Jointly Organized By
July 23-27, 2012
Venue: Central Library Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi
Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi in collaboration with Information and Library Network (INFLIBNET) Center, Ahmedabad is organizing a five day workshop on “Development of Institutional Repository using Dspace with special reference to creation of ETD Archive” at Central Library, JNU, New Delhi from July 23-27, 2012.
About the Workshop
The workshop will train the participants on open source digital library software (Dspace) and will facilitate interaction between experts and the participants in order to bridge the knowledge gaps and initiate capacity building activities. The deliberations of the experts - and subsequent discussions - during and after the workshop will help develop a road map for building the digital library.
DSpace is the ideal software for different types of libraries involved in building open digital repository. It is free, easy to install and can be completely customized in keeping with the needs of the any type of library and it also enables open sharing of content beyond any geographical barriers. It is intended for varieties of uses include digital asset management, long term preservation, e-publishing applications and scholarly communications. It has been widely adopted for building up digital repository.
Objectives of the Workshop
This workshop is intended to equip participants with skills for developing their own digital libraries/institutional repositories. There will be lectures as well as intensive hands-on training sessions by experts in the field. Thus it will greatly help participants to update their skills to build up digital repositories.
The workshop will train the professionals about;
- To provide background knowledge of the digital library( in particularly Dspace)
- To provide hands-on experience in using DSpace software
- How to handle and involved in installing, administering and customising the DSpace software.
- The advanced features of 1.8.3 version – tools, RSS feeds for podcasts, discovery faceted searching and browsing system, ability to enable automatic virus checking during item upload etc.
- Aspects related to maintenance development, upgradation aspects
- General introduction to Linux operating System (required for installation/functionality of Dspace)
The following areas will be covered in the workshop and hands on practical training will be given in the following areas:
- Linux OS
- DSpace Installation & Configuration
- DSpace Administration & Customization
- DSpace Workflow & Submissions
- Backup, Maintenance development and up-gradation
The Library and information professionals from University Libraries and other academic Institutions across the country. It will register only 20 participants from outside JNU on first-cum-first served basis. Preference will be given to the professional from Academic Libraries intending to create Electronic Theses and Dissertations Archive.
Experts from INFLIBNET, DRTC, IIT Delhi and JNU will conduct the workshop.
- Rs.5000/- with accommodation
- Rs.3000/- without accommodation
The registration fee is to be sent by demand draft only in favour of “Finance Officer, JNU” payable at New Delhi preferably at State Bank of India, New Delhi.
- Working lunch and tea will be served to the participants
- Computing Infrastructure will be provided by JNU
- Conference kit will include CD
- Accommodation will be provided to the outside participants in JNU Guest House.
Your request along with “Workshop Registration form and Demand Draft” should reach to undersigned at the address given below latest by July 6th 2012. However outstation participants are requested to send their request preferably by June 20, 2012, so accommodation can be arranged and registration fee may be sent later
Address for Communication:
Jawaharlal Nehru University(JNU)
New Meharuli Road, New Delhi - 110067
Tele +91-11-26742605, 26704551
Fax : +91-11-26741603
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ;email@example.com
Submit a request to contract our services by visiting our Contact us page.